ANKARA, Turkey — Turkey and Saudi Arabia on Wednesday declared their determination to start a “new era of cooperation” during a visit by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, as they set aside years of acrimony following the brutal slaying of a Saudi columnist.
The Turkish fiancée of the slain journalist meanwhile, decried the crown prince‘s visit.
Prince Mohammed — making his first trip to Turkey following the killing, by Saudi agents, of Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul — held one-on-one talks with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that lasted some two hours. Prince Mohammed is on the last leg of a Middle East tour that also took him to Egypt and Jordan.
A joint statement released followed their meeting said the sides “strongly emphasized a joint determination to start a new era of cooperation in bilateral relations … including political, economic, military, security and cultural relations.”
The two sides also discussed the possibility of developing and diversifying trade and boosting investments and partnerships in various fields. The talks were held in an atmosphere of “sincerity and brotherhood embodying the depth of excellent relations between the two countries,” according to the statement.
The crown prince’s convoy arrived at the presidential palace complex escorted by Turkish mounted honor guards. Erdogan greeted the prince at an entrance to the palace after which the two kissed each other on both cheeks.
Efforts by the regional heavyweights to improve their ties come as Turkey faces its worst economic crisis in two decades and is trying to draw investments from wealthy Gulf Arab states. Turkey has also taken steps to improve relations with the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Israel.
Talks with the UAE’s Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan late last year led to investment deals worth $10 billion after years of regional rivalry.
Saudi Arabia, for its part, has been trying to broaden its alliances at a time of strained relations with Washington. The crown prince also seeks to put an end to the scandal over Khashoggi’s killing that damaged his reputation.
U.S. President Joe Biden is due to visit Saudi Arabia at the tail end of a July 13-16 regional trip that includes stops in Israel and the occupied West Bank.
Erdogan visited Saudi Arabia in April, paying his first visit to the kingdom since 2017, a year before Khashoggi’s killing.
Ayham Kamel, head of the Eurasia Group’s Middle East research team, said the…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at ABC News: International…