Education

Larry Summers Shreds Trump Admin Over ‘Vicious’ Harvard Action

Larry Summers Shreds Trump Admin Over 'Vicious' Harvard Action

Former U.S. Treasury Secretary Larry Summers ripped the Trump administration for taking away Harvard’s ability to enroll international students Thursday, declaring that the action is not consistent with the way democracies operate: “This is the stuff of tyranny.”

In an interview with “Bloomberg: The China Show,” Summers, a professor and president emeritus at Harvard, said the university has a “clear necessity” to resist the administration’s latest punitive action.

“This is the stuff of tyranny,” he said. “If an institution like Harvard with a $52 billion endowment, with the staggering of network of alumni that we have, if it can’t resist these kinds of movements towards tyranny, I don’t know what other American institutions will be able to do that.”

Summers said the step pursued by the administration was “vicious,” adding that it’s not reflective of how democracies like the U.S. should operate.

“If I had been a member of an administration where such unlawful orders had come from the White House, I would have resigned immediately,” Summers added.

While Summers said there are necessary reforms for Harvard to make, punishing foreign students is not the appropriate way to address any potential issues the administration has with the institution.

The “United States won World War II because of people who came to be at American universities,” he told Bloomberg. “Why is cutting off that kind of interchange sensible for our economy or for our national security?”

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem on Thursday wrote to Harvard, announcing that her department was revoking the university’s Student and Exchange Visit Program, barring it from enrolling foreign students, which currently make up about over a quarter of its student body, starting this upcoming academic year. Noem said current international students would have to transfer to another university to retain their visas.

“Consequences must follow to send a clear signal to Harvard and all universities that want to enjoy the privilege of enrolling foreign students, that the Trump Administration will enforce the law and root out the evils of anti-Americanism and antisemitism in society and campuses,” she wrote.

Less than 24 hours later, Harvard filed a lawsuit on Friday, challenging the action as unconstitutional.

This “imperils the futures of thousands of students and scholars across Harvard and serves as a…

Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Education…