SACRAMENTO, Calif. — More than 20 mostly Democratic-led states sued the Trump administration Tuesday over its efforts to cut Medicaid payments to the nation’s largest abortion provider — Planned Parenthood.
The move comes in response to the package of tax breaks and spending cuts Trump signed earlier this month. A portion of the new cuts are focused on services such as cancer screenings and tests, birth control and treatment for sexually transmitted infections — by ending Medicaid reimbursements for a year for major providers of family planning services.
The cuts apply to groups that received more than $800,000 from Medicaid in 2023. The goal was to target Planned Parenthood, but the legislation also affected a major medical provider in Maine.
California, New York, Connecticut, other states and Washington, D.C. argue in a complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for Massachusetts that the provision’s language is unclear about which groups it applies to. They also say it retaliates against Planned Parenthood for advocating for abortion access, violating the free speech clause of the First Amendment.
The states are asking that the portion of the law be blocked and deemed unconstitutional.
The cuts threaten health care access for many low-income Americans, California Attorney General Rob Bonta said at a news conference.
“This attack isn’t just about abortion,” the Democrat said. “It’s about denying vulnerable communities access to care they rely on every day.”
But the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, named a defendant in the suit, defended the provision.
“States should not be forced to fund organizations that have chosen political advocacy over patient care,” spokesperson Andrew G. Nixon said in an email. “It is a shame that these democrat attorney generals seek to undermine state flexibility and disregard longstanding concerns about accountability.”
Maine Family Planning, which operates 18 clinics offering a range of services across the state, and Planned Parenthood Federation of America filed separate lawsuits earlier this year challenging the cuts. Planned Parenthood said although it is not specifically named in the law, the provision was meant to affect its nearly 600 centers in 48 states. About a third of those clinics risk closure because of the legislation, which would strip care from more than 1 million patients, the group argues.
A federal judge on Monday ruled Planned Parenthood clinics nationwide must continue to…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at ABC News: Health…