Jul. 30—Washington has filed multiple lawsuits seeking to block the federal government from accessing the private information, including home addresses, of more than 1 million residents who use the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, otherwise known as food stamps.
The federal government has said it could withhold more than $100 million in funding for nutritional programs the state receives if Washington does not provide the requested information, Attorney General Nick Brown said.
Last week, Brown filed a lawsuit in Thurston County Superior Court against the third-party contractor for the Department of Social and Health Services that delivers benefit payments to recipients without state authorization. On Monday, Brown joined a multistate federal lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Agriculture seeking to block the agency from demanding the data.
“The Trump administration’s illegal and cruel action threatens the privacy and well-being of our communities,” Brown said in a statement Monday. “Our office will take action to protect Washingtonians from yet more overreach by the Trump administration.”
The USDA has given states a July 30 deadline to turn over information about all SNAP applicants for the past five years, including names, Social Security numbers, birth dates and addresses. Last week, the agency notified states it was also seeking information on the immigration status of applicants.
The USDA has suggested that states that do not comply with the request could lose federal funding. Washington receives approximately $129.5 million annually in federal funds for the program.
On Thursday, Washington filed a lawsuit against Fidelity Information Services, the contractor that distributes benefits to Washington’s 1.2 million recipients, seeking to block the company from releasing the information.
“People who need food assistance for themselves and their families should be able to trust that their data will be protected and kept private,” Brown said in a statement. “If a contractor fails to uphold the terms they’ve agreed to, we will hold them accountable under the law.”
According to the lawsuit, the company notified Washington’s Department of Social and Health Services in May that it intended to provide the information to the USDA. Soon after, the agency told Fidelity it did not consent to the company releasing the information to the USDA.
While Fidelity initially pledged not to release the information without express consent, it failed to confirm that…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Yahoo News – Latest News & Headlines…