World News

Hamas accepts an Arab ceasefire proposal on Gaza

Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammed Mustafa, left on podium, and Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, center on podium, attend a press conference during their visit to Rafah crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 18, 2025. (AP Photo/Mayar Mokhtar)

RAFAH, Egypt (AP) — Hamas said Monday it has accepted a new proposal from Arab mediators for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip as Israel indicated its positions haven’t changed, while Gaza’s Health Ministry said the Palestinian death toll from 22 months of war has passed 62,000.

U.S. President Donald Trump appeared to cast doubt on the long-running negotiations that Washington has mediated as well. “We will only see the return of the remaining hostages when Hamas is confronted and destroyed!!! The sooner this takes place, the better the chances of success will be,” he posted on social media.

Egyptian Foreign Minister Bader Abdelattay said on Monday that his Qatari counterpart Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani arrived in Cairo and joined talks on restarting ceasefire negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian militant group Hamas.

Israel announced plans to reoccupy Gaza City and other heavily populated areas after ceasefire talks appeared to break down last month, raising the possibility of a worsening humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, which experts say is sliding into famine.

Plans to expand the offensive, in part aimed at pressuring Hamas, have sparked international outrage and infuriated many Israelis who fear for the remaining hostages taken in the Oct. 7, 2023, attack that started the war. Hundreds of thousands took part in mass protests on Sunday calling for their return.

Egypt says Witkoff invited to join talks

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said mediators are “exerting extensive efforts” to revive a U.S. proposal for a 60-day ceasefire, during which some of the remaining 50 hostages would be released and the sides would negotiate a lasting ceasefire and the return of the rest.

Abdelatty told The Associated Press they are inviting U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff to join the ceasefire talks.

Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Top News: US & International Top News Stories Today | AP News…